Mold is a danger that can appear in just about any home regardless of age or environment. However, mold grows due to moisture trapped in walls, ceilings, and floors. Therefore, homes in humid environments and rainy climates are more susceptible to the infestation. As the substance spreads through the walls of your house, it releases spores. People and pets living in the house then breathe in the spores and are at risk of becoming sick. This sickness is particularly difficult to identify because the symptoms often look like other illnesses.
In the beginning, the illnesses look much like a cold, influenza, or allergies. In small doses, the spores act as irritants. They irritate the nose, lungs, throat, and eyes. Sneezing, runny nose, clogged sinuses, itchy or runny eyes, and coughing are all symptoms. As you can see, these are fairly non-specific symptoms. In addition to these, you might suffer from a headache, dizziness, or nausea.
If your exposure continues for longer periods of time, you might suffer from more pronounced symptoms. These symptoms are persistent headaches or dizziness. Also, you might experience weight loss and hair loss. Usually this is because of diarrhea, coughing up blood, vomiting, and fatigue, which make it difficult to absorb nutrients. You might also experience sexual dysfunction, skin rashes, memory loss, and sores. At this point, mold removal is a requirement because your house has become a serious health hazard.
After a long period of time in an infested house without employing a mold removal service, you will experience very serious effects. Some of these effects might be incurable. Prolonged exposure can cause blindness, bleeding lungs, cognitive impairments, brain damage, long-term memory loss, and cancer. In certain, very rare cases, death can even result.
The process of mold removal is typically known as remediation. It is called remediation because spores exist pretty much everywhere, and most of them are benign or they are in low enough quantities to be harmless. Therefore, they cannot all be completely removed. However, remediation refers to the process of reducing the number of spores to a safe level.
Professionals will come into your home and inspect it to determine the severity of your infestation. If the problem has not spread beyond one room of the house, they will section off that part of the house. They will physically remove mold. Isolating the affected room of the house prevents spores from spreading to other parts of the building.
After physically removing affected areas, they will kill it in hard-to-reach areas using chemical agents such as bleach, ammonia, borax, and vinegar. Some porous materials such as clothes, upholstery, and drywall might not be salvageable. Non-porous materials such as glass, metal, and plastic should be reusable after a thorough cleaning.
The professionals will then use a high-efficiency particulate arrestance (HEPA) filtered vacuum to clean up the spores and dry the air in the room. A dry environment will help prevent spores from returning.
Depending on the severity of the problem, they might have to move from room to room repeating the process.