Asthma and Allergies – Hidden Mold Can Affect Your Asthma Or Allergies

We received a phone call from a homeowner who was concerned about mold in the bathroom ceiling. My first question to him was: Is there a roof leak that you are not aware of? He told me that a roofer had checked it out and said there was no roof leak. We made an appointment to do an Environmental Inspection of his home. Advised him not to change anything about the home until we got there to do the inspection.

No Moisture, No Mold is our motto concerning mold. During the inspection of the home, it was discovered that there was a slow roof leak that the roofer did not find. This is a common problem we find with roofers because they do not go to the area in the attic to check it out. This location was in the corner with minimal clearance, so the roofer did not go there. Well, the homeowner called another Roofing Company because they felt the previous Roofing Company was incompetent. In the current financial climate, it is important to do the best job possible. This is a prime example of what happens when you do poor quality work, the Roofing Company lost out on valuable work.

Now lets get to the another case of hidden mold. This is one example of hidden mold in a Home: The owner of the Home is complaining about getting ill with allergies after a water leak. This often occurs if the flooded area is not properly died up.The water was cleaned up in the A/C Closet within 72 hours which is generally sufficient to prevent microbial growth. No Moisture, No Mold. There was no visible microbial growth anywhere but the client was complaining about getting ill in the home.

The next question you are going to ask is if “No Moisture, No Mold” why is there a problem in this house. The first thing we did was take microbial air samples inside the 3 walls of the Air Conditioning Closet. We sent them to the Microbial Lab for analysis. The samples came back positive for Chaetomium and Staphybotris Mold in the walls. The next phase of the investigation requires an invasive investigation with a licensed Microbial Remediation who is properly trained.

During the second phase, it was discovered that there was an old water leak that was never cleaned up properly. This is common especially when the previous homeowner tries to hide existing water damage during a sale. This is why it is important to have your home properly investigated when you are buying an older home. The cost of the remediation to the homeowner was an approximately $950 plus clearance testing costs, which should have been paid by the previous homeowner. Guess, we live and learn the hard way.

In conclusion, roof leaks need to be investigated by a competent Roofing Contractor who checks it out in the attic if accessible. Most mold cases are clear cut and do not need an extensive Microbial Investigation. Just because you do not see mold, doesn’t mean there is not a problem. It can be hidden inside the walls. If you suspect mold, call in an experienced Professional Mold Investigator who has credentials from a valid organization such as the Indoor Air Quality Association. If you are under a Doctors care, always consult with them first before taking any advice concerning Asthma and Allergies from Microbial Growth.

If you have any questions, feel free to call us or visit our website.

Allergies – How to Handle Mold and Your Dryer Exhaust Venting System

Clothes Dryers are a great convenience in our modern day world. They make our lives easier and less complicated than our parents in the past who hung their clothes out to dry on the clothes line. Some people today do not even know what a clothes line is. If you do not, do a search on Google to find out what one is. This convenience is great but it does have a few flaws that very few people even know about. One of them is that they can create mold that can affect individuals with Asthma and Allergies. We will go into these flaws in this article.

If you notice that every time you dry a load of clothes the lint catcher is full of lint that needs to be emptied every other time. This is because it prevents the lint from blowing out the exhaust vent. The truth is, it does not catch all the lint and some goes outside and the rest deposits on the inside of the exhaust vent pipe. Generally, most of the deposits of lint will be where the bends or angles are in the pipe unless you have one of the old ribbed metal piping. The problem with these deposits is that no one ever cleans the pipe.

When was the last time you cleaned your dryer exhaust pipe. It slowly becomes a fire hazard and a mold factory over the years. Have you ever opened your dryer and smelled a musty odor? That musty and moldy odor is from when the wind backdrafts into the house from the outside. This is a common problem for most households. Besides the mold, a lot of house fires can originate from the house dryer exhaust. According to National Fire Protection Agency, dryer exhausts cause more than 10,000 house fires a year. Most of these incidents occur in homes and are the result of improper lint cleanup and maintenance. Fortunately, these fires are very easy to prevent.

In conclusion, it is important to maintain your dryer vent system to prevent mold and fires from happening. Having a licensed Duct Cleaning Company come and clean the dryer vent is a must and should be done on a regular basis. In fact, after reading this article, call a Duct Cleaning Company to clean your dryer exhaust out now. If not, you could be suffering from allergies due to backdrafting of your dryer vent into your home or the worst case scenario, a fire could start from your dryer vent exhaust.

If you have any questions, feel free to call us or visit our website.

Signs That You May Need Mold Removal Service

Mold is a danger that can appear in just about any home regardless of age or environment. However, mold grows due to moisture trapped in walls, ceilings, and floors. Therefore, homes in humid environments and rainy climates are more susceptible to the infestation. As the substance spreads through the walls of your house, it releases spores. People and pets living in the house then breathe in the spores and are at risk of becoming sick. This sickness is particularly difficult to identify because the symptoms often look like other illnesses.

Early Stages

In the beginning, the illnesses look much like a cold, influenza, or allergies. In small doses, the spores act as irritants. They irritate the nose, lungs, throat, and eyes. Sneezing, runny nose, clogged sinuses, itchy or runny eyes, and coughing are all symptoms. As you can see, these are fairly non-specific symptoms. In addition to these, you might suffer from a headache, dizziness, or nausea.

Next Stages

If your exposure continues for longer periods of time, you might suffer from more pronounced symptoms. These symptoms are persistent headaches or dizziness. Also, you might experience weight loss and hair loss. Usually this is because of diarrhea, coughing up blood, vomiting, and fatigue, which make it difficult to absorb nutrients. You might also experience sexual dysfunction, skin rashes, memory loss, and sores. At this point, mold removal is a requirement because your house has become a serious health hazard.

Late Stages

After a long period of time in an infested house without employing a mold removal service, you will experience very serious effects. Some of these effects might be incurable. Prolonged exposure can cause blindness, bleeding lungs, cognitive impairments, brain damage, long-term memory loss, and cancer. In certain, very rare cases, death can even result.

Solutions

The process of mold removal is typically known as remediation. It is called remediation because spores exist pretty much everywhere, and most of them are benign or they are in low enough quantities to be harmless. Therefore, they cannot all be completely removed. However, remediation refers to the process of reducing the number of spores to a safe level.

Professionals will come into your home and inspect it to determine the severity of your infestation. If the problem has not spread beyond one room of the house, they will section off that part of the house. They will physically remove mold. Isolating the affected room of the house prevents spores from spreading to other parts of the building.

After physically removing affected areas, they will kill it in hard-to-reach areas using chemical agents such as bleach, ammonia, borax, and vinegar. Some porous materials such as clothes, upholstery, and drywall might not be salvageable. Non-porous materials such as glass, metal, and plastic should be reusable after a thorough cleaning.

The professionals will then use a high-efficiency particulate arrestance (HEPA) filtered vacuum to clean up the spores and dry the air in the room. A dry environment will help prevent spores from returning.

Depending on the severity of the problem, they might have to move from room to room repeating the process.